Accounting and Data Coordinator
Salary Placement Range: $75,246.00 to $102,609.00
To meet the goals of Phoenix #1’s Strategic Plan, an equitable distribution of resources to support students is essential. This requires the District to be fiscally responsible while building and maintaining strong and efficient processes for accounting and budgeting. To this end, the Accounting and Data Coordinator is responsible for maintaining the computerized general ledger accounting system and supervising the Accounts Payable team. In addition, this critical role assists the Director of Budget and Finance with financial and data analysis, budgeting, budget projections, and preparing legally required financial statements and internal management reports. The Coordinator utilizes investigative, organizational, and analytical skills to implement and execute data mining projects to create reports to inform key decision-making data for use by management and other outside agencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises and evaluates personnel performing Accounts Payable positions.
- Supervises maintenance of revenue, expenditure, asset, liability, and fund balance accounts in the general ledger system in accordance with the Uniform System of Financial Records (USFR) and monthly reconciliation with the County Treasurer.
- Coordinates and reviews year-end requirements such as the state Annual Financial Report (AFR). Develops systems to create accurate financial data in a timely manner for the AFR. Advises other departments on state reporting requirements and integrates their information into the AFR.
- Coordinates the collection of data and verifies information for auditors. Verifies schedules and data for the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
- Develops financial information systems for external reporting, management information and account analysis using the most efficient combination of computerized and manual systems. Recommends or implements changes in accounting systems and procedures.
- Supports budgeting and financial projections, including preparing work papers, financial statements, and various reports for the Governing Board meetings and other outside agencies as well as for internal accounting.
- Performs internal audit duties. Verifies the effectiveness and efficiency of District financial systems and prepares internal audit work papers.
- Supervises and participates in the posting, balancing, and reconciliation of the general ledger and subsidiary accounts, and monthly reports.
- Supervises and participates in the reconciliation of District cash, revenue, and disbursement records with the Maricopa County Treasurer’s Office and other financial institutions on a monthly basis.
- Controls budget for various departments and projects, determining if funds are available and expenditures properly classified; researches and analyzes transactions to resolve budget problems; provides analysis of available funds at management request.
- Interfaces with numerous external agencies and businesses to explain regulations and provide information as needed.
- Serves as backup to the Payroll Supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college in Business Administration, Accounting, Education, or a related field
· Combination of prior experience and technical training may be substituted for degree or certification if comparable to degree or certification program completion requirements.
5+ years of experience in Microsoft applications environment
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
· Three or more years of experience with Visions software
· Three or more years of experience with Microsoft Office products
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Best practices in implementing computer programs to provide accurate financial accounting and reporting.
- Financial audit procedures in audit practices and procedures.
- Creating computer spreadsheet models for budget projections, researching information for budget development, and querying current accounting software for financial information.
- Communicating extensively orally and in writing in team environments and between other departments, including communicating instructions and procedures.
- Comply with State Law and District policies and regulations.
- Successfully manage and develop others toward clear outcomes
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
- Concern For Order
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear and sometimes walk and sit. The employee must use hands, arms, and fingers to input data, handle, feel or reach; employee may occasionally push or lift up to 50 lbs. such as boxes, supplies, etc. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as to read handwritten or typed material, and the ability to adjust focus, close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud and can vary in temperature. The nature of this position is fast-paced and may occasionally be thought of as stressful. Through interaction with the public and other district employees, the employee may encounter different scents.
WE ARE PHOENIX #1!
At Phoenix Elementary School District #1, we are Inspiring Every Child to Achieve, educating the future leaders of Phoenix! We’re looking for passionate people who want to shape the future to join in our mission of offering all students an excellent and equitable education. The education of our children is a shared responsibility in our community, and we encourage you to apply for the opportunity to be part of that.
Every member of our Phoenix #1 family-from our top leadership team to our bus drivers, our nutrition team to our nurses, and our teachers to our technology gurus is shaping the lives of our students every day. We also drive forward the goals of ensuring equity and excellence for all students. It’s not just our work; it is our passion!
We are a Pre-Kindergarten through 8th-grade school district in Phoenix, Arizona, established in 1871 as the first free public school district in Arizona. The district boundaries cover an area from 16th Street to 23rd Avenue, and Buckeye Road to Thomas Road.
WHAT YOU’LL LOVE ABOUT US:
- Our 15 schools are in the heart of hip Phoenix.
- We are educating the future leaders of Phoenix.
- We have a district-wide Equity Commitment, Statement, and Plan.
- We are accessible by Phoenix Light Rail.
- We want you to relax and refuel with healthy vacation time.
- We have University partners that offer discounted tuition.
The statements in this job description describe the essential function and requirements as assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. Job descriptions are subject to change. Employees must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and extensive fingerprint and background check. Discrimination against an otherwise qualified individual with a disability or any individual by reason of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity gender expression, age, or national origin is prohibited. Efforts will be made in recruitment and employment to ensure equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons.PESD1 is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact Lauren Pagnotta, HR Coordinator, at (602) 257-6072 at least 3 days in advance.
Job Contact Information
Wednesday, February 8, 2023 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 5024