Director of Curriculum and Instruction- 2023/2024 School Year
Salary placement range: $96,164.00 to $132,798.00
The Director of Curriculum and Instruction leads the Strategic Plan goals of ensuring that every student served by Phoenix #1 is achieving academic success by systematically addressing sustainable, equitable access and success for every student. A leader of the highest order, the Director drives key components of the Phoenix #1 Equity Plan as well as the District’s Strategic Plan. This includes, but is not limited to aligning the written, taught, and tested curriculum; developing and monitoring a PreK-8 written curriculum aligned to standards and assessments; designing, developing, and facilitating professional development to ensure effective delivery of the written curriculum; and serving as a resource to all Phoenix #1 community members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead all functions and operations within the Curriculum and Instruction department, including developing department vision, goals, project plans, and systems for monitoring the department’s effectiveness.
- Lead the design and development of the PreK-8 written curriculum guides for all content areas aligned to the expectations of Phoenix #1 as specified by the Strategic Plan, curriculum audit recommendations, Equity Plan and Curriculum Management Plan.
- Lead the design, development, and revision of PreK-8 written curriculum aligned to Arizona College and Career Ready Standards, as well as Arizona state assessments and district assessments.
- Provide professional development aligned to the effective delivery of the written curriculum and district instructional model.
- Facilitate the process of selecting instructional materials aligned to the PreK-8 written curriculum.
- Monitor delivery of the written curriculum to ensure alignment between the written, taught, and tested curriculum.
- Assume responsibility for attending any needed trainings to successfully perform designated responsibilities.
- Ensure team members’ facilitation of district events and district initiatives is successful.
- Research, evaluate, and implement innovative programming, including, but not limited to supporting the design and development of curriculum specific to Signature Schools.
- Lead, facilitate, and support the use of common formative assessments to provide multi-tiered systems of support.
- Support and collaborate with Principals, teachers, and other educators across the district in order to meet the academic needs of students and drive towards completions of goals in the Phoenix #1 Strategic Plan and Equity Plan.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
· Master’s Degree in Education Leadership, Curriculum and Instruction, or a related field
· Five or more years of experience as a certified teacher
· Three or more years of experience as a school or district leader
· Valid Arizona Teacher Certificate
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
· Valid Arizona Administrative Certificate
· Multilingual, verbal and written
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Arizona College and Career Ready Standard as well as effective instructional strategies for all subgroups of learners.
- Best practices at all levels of instruction ensure systemic and equitable student success.
- Using data to create, inform, adjust, and monitor instruction and strategy.
- Analyzing student achievement data to suggest appropriate and effective instructional strategies, as well as intervention strategies to ensure student success.
- Maintain high expectations for student learning that is tightly aligned with the district’s vision and goals.
- Set and attain ambitious but feasible goals for student learning at a systemic, district-wide level.
- High Expectations
- Cultural Engagement
- Team Focus
- Planning Ahead
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear and sometimes walk and sit. The employee must use hands, arms and fingers to input data, handle, feel or reach; employee may occasionally push or lift up to 50 lbs. such as boxes, supplies, etc. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as to read handwritten or typed material, and the ability to adjust focus, close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud and can vary in temperature. The nature of this position is fast-paced and may occasionally be thought of as stressful. Through interaction with the public and other district employees, the employee may encounter different scents.
WE ARE PHOENIX #1!
At Phoenix Elementary School District #1, we are Inspiring Every Child to Achieve, educating the future leaders of Phoenix! We’re looking for passionate people who want to shape the future to join in our mission of offering all students an excellent and equitable education. The education of our children is a shared responsibility among our community, and we encourage you to apply for the opportunity to be part of that.
Every member of our Phoenix #1 family-from our top leadership team to our bus drivers, our nutrition team to our nurses, and our teachers to our technology gurus is shaping the lives of our students every day. We also drive forward the goals of ensuring equity and excellence for all students. It’s not just our work; it is our passion!
We are a Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade school district in Phoenix, Arizona, established in 1871 as the first free public school district in Arizona. The district boundaries cover an area from 16th Street to 23rd Avenue, and Buckeye Road to Thomas Road.
WHAT YOU’LL LOVE ABOUT US:
- Our 15 schools are in the heart of hip Phoenix.
- We are educating the future leaders of Phoenix.
- We have a district-wide Equity Commitment, Statement and Plan.
- We are accessible by Phoenix Light Rail.
- We want you to relax and refuel with healthy vacation time.
- We have University partners that offer discounted tuition.
The statements in this job description describe the essential function and requirements as assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. Job descriptions are subject to change. Employees must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and extensive fingerprint and background check. Discrimination against an otherwise qualified individual with a disability or any individual by reason of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity gender expression, age, or national origin is prohibited. Efforts will be made in recruitment and employment to ensure equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons.PESD1 is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact Lauren Pagnotta, HR Coordinator, at (602) 257-6072 at least 3 days in advance.
Job Contact Information
Tuesday, May 23, 2023 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 5206