School Nurse- Bethune Elementary
This is a full-time position with benefits.
Full Year Salary Placement= $47,289.00 to $89,672.00, depending on level of education and experience.
The School Nurse is employed to give leadership and guidance in the development and maintenance of a total School Health Program. The School Nurse functions as the manager of health care services within the School Health Program. The School Nurse is the deliverer of health services; an advocate for the rights of children; counselor for health concerns of children, families, and staff; and educator for school/community health concerns. She/he provides health services as needed for students.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Additional duties may be assigned
- Effectively utilizes district technologies appropriate to the position and assumes responsibility for attending district training needed to successfully perform designated responsibilities as directed by supervisor.
- Maintains regular attendance.
- Complies with State Law and District policies and regulations.
- Health Appraisal - Assesses and evaluates the health and developmental status of the students in order to make a nursing diagnosis and establish priority for action.
- Screenings-Assess vision of all students PS-6 and 7-8 as needed, hearing according to State mandates, Scoliosis, Height and Weight
- Health Counseling- Assists pupils and their families to achieve a greater degree of self-sufficiency in handling their health problems, assist to find community resources, make appointments, and obtain transportation.
- Special Education Programs - Assists when needed in the planning of educational services appropriate for the student and serves as a member of the teams forming Individual Education Plans and 504 plans.
- Assists other disciplines when needed- including vision and hearing screening for speech and special education evaluations; serves as a team member on the Response to Intervention team.
- Communicable Disease Program- Responsible for implementing the prevention and control of communicable diseases in the school, for the protection of all pupils and school personnel, in compliance with the rules and regulations established by the local and Arizona State Health Department (ADHS).
- Manages chronic health conditions at school- Including diabetes, asthma, spina bifida, cerebral palsy
- Performs special procedures to maintain optimum health of students with special health needs-glucose monitoring, giving insulin, medications, bladder catheterization, diapering, tube feeding, tracheostomy care, emotional support
- Environmental Health and Accident Prevention - Assists with plans to promote an environment conducive to health and safety. Completes accident/incident reports as needed.. Inspects premises to ensure students are safe, as needed.
- Health Education - Serves as a health consultant and resource person in health instruction curriculum by providing current scientific information from related fields.
- School-Community Health Program - Serves as a liaison among the parents, school, and community health matters. Works with Social Worker and Community Worker to improve programs in the school and/or community.
- Care of the Sick and Injured - Assumes the responsibility in caring for the sick and injured in the school in accordance with school policy and the accepted standards of practices for Nurses. Intervenes with Child Protective Services when deemed appropriate. Assists other staff members to fulfill their duties in same.
- Documents all care given to students electronically daily.
- In services - Responsible for providing on-site in-services to staff, including: Bloodborne Pathogens, Medication Administration, and other topics as warranted
- Partners with other agencies to bring needed programs to the schools for students- Dental services, asthma assessment and treatment, Maricopa Public Health Dental Sealant Program, School-Based Health Center, Immunizations on site.
- Bills Medicaid using the MIPS program for eligible students on IEPs. - Works in conjunction with other health agencies- gives data to ADHS for disease surveillance weekly, completes State mandated reports on immunizations and hearing, completes Arizona School Health Annual Report, other reports as requested.
- Performs such related duties - as determined necessary by the Director of Student Services and School Administrator.
The School Nurse shall be responsible to the Building Administrator, the Health and Wellness Coordinator, and the Director of Student Services.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, be a person of high integrity and maintain confidentiality. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Registered Nurse certification required.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) proficiency is preferred.
- Possession of a current license to practice as a professional Registered Nurse in Arizona.
- Two years of successful clinical nursing practice as a Registered Nurse preferred.
- State school nurse certification, to be achieved in first three years, preferred.
- Knowledge of the following - the total School Health Program, specific school nursing responsibilities, factors influencing the learning process, public health principles, health education, and public relations.
- Ability to - interpret and carry out the School Health Programs; cooperate and work effectively with students, parents, faculty, and community; show flexibility in adapting to varying cultural and racial groups; make sound judgments and decisions in a wide variety of situations under pressure.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, etc.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from Board members, administrators, staff and the general public.
- Ability to use basic mathematical skills in maintaining departmental budgets and calculate drug dosages.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations in an effective manner.
- Ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear and sometimes walk and sit. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally push or lift up to 50 pounds such as boxes, supplies, etc. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as reading handwritten typed material, and the ability to adjust focus. The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from several people and interact with the public and other staff.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Learn more about our generous benefit plans to support a healthy work/life balance at: https://phxschools.org/careers/benefits/
Job Contact Information
|Name||Alicia Zelvis/Jamie Oliver|
Wednesday, May 24, 2023 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Pay: $47,289 to $89,672/year
1)"><strong><em>Full Year Salary Placement= $47,289.00 to $89,672.00
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 5207