Director of Budget and Finance
Salary placement range= $85,713.00 to $112,328.00
At the heart of the Strategic and Equity Plan for Phoenix #1 is an equitable distribution of resources and strong financial stewardship for all District operations. The Director of Budget and Finance leads the financial affairs of the District in order to provide excellence and equity in educational services with the financial resources available. This leader plays a key role in all aspects of the District while managing and supervising the Finance, Payroll, Purchasing, and Accounts Payable departments of Phoenix #1.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, prepares, supervises, and manages preliminary and final district, program, and school budgets, and assists in presenting this information to the Governing Board as needed.
- Responsible for assisting with long-range financial planning and financial reporting, including enrollment projections.
- Acts as advisor to the Chief Financial Officer on all questions relating to the business and financial affairs of the District
- Researches and analyzes historical accounting transactions to support budget decision-making.
- Coordinates and reviews year-end requirements such as the state Annual Financial Report (AFR). Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, develops systems to create accurate financial data in a timely manner for the AFR. Advises other departments on state reporting requirements and integrates their information into the AFR.
- Monitors and controls the budgets and grants in the general ledger system.
- Prepares monthly financial reports and budget analysis, including salary and benefit projections
- Prepares quarterly forecasts and analyzes actual versus budgeted activities.
- Establishes and supervises a program of accounting adequate to record in detail all money and credit transactions
- Supervises the financial accounting of the District’s student activities program serving as student activities treasurer
- Assists all directors and principals with budget development and financial reporting including training as needed
- Manages the District’s payroll, purchasing, accounts payable, accounts receivable and other accounting functions as needed or directed by the Chief Financial Officer and serves as a backup to the Payroll Supervisor
- Assists the Chief Financial Officer in developing the budget process, along with assisting in establishing a budget control system and budget monitoring for the District and school sites
- Assists the Chief Financial Officer in recruiting, hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating all staff personnel in Business Services.
- Assists the Chief Financial Officer with the arrangement of internal and external auditing of District and school financials
- Shares in the interpretation of the financial concerns of the District to the community.
- Supports the Chief Financial Officer in providing budget training to District Staff
- Performs monthly detailed review of actual results compared to budget to identify significant variances from the budget.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college in Business Administration, Accounting, Education, or a related field
· Business office experience in budget preparation, accounting, payroll and accounts payable.
· Combination of prior experience and technical training may be substituted for degree or certification if comparable to degree or certification program completion requirements.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
· Completion of courses in school law and finance
· Three or more years of School District experience
· Three or more years of experience with Visions software
· Three or more years of experience with Microsoft Office products
· Three or more years of experience supervising multiple direct reports in a business or governmental operation
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- School law and school finance, including Arizona’s Uniform System of Financial Records (USFR)
- Processes for creating and monitoring budgets that involve multiple, diverse stakeholders
- Designing and presenting financial reports to multiple, diverse audiences
- Clearly communicating detailed financial and budgetary information that is easily understood by others.
- Make key budgetary and management decisions while maintaining a fair and impartial attitude for the distribution of approved funds following guidelines set forth by the policies of the district.
- Effectively and efficiently lead a department and teams towards shared visions, goals, and outcomes.
* Analytical Thinking
* Attention to Detail
* Planning Ahead
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear and sometimes walk and sit. The employee must use hands, arms, and fingers to input data, handle, feel or reach; employee may occasionally push or lift up to 50 lbs. such as boxes, supplies, etc. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as reading handwritten or typed material, and the ability to adjust focus, close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud and can vary in temperature. The nature of this position is fast-paced and may occasionally be thought of as stressful. Through interaction with the public and other district employees, the employee may encounter different scents.
WE ARE PHOENIX #1!
At Phoenix Elementary School District #1, we are Inspiring Every Child to Achieve, educating the future leaders of Phoenix! We’re looking for passionate people who want to shape the future to join in our mission of offering all students an excellent and equitable education. The education of our children is a shared responsibility in our community, and we encourage you to apply for the opportunity to be part of that.
Every member of our Phoenix #1 family-from our top leadership team to our bus drivers, our nutrition team to our nurses, and our teachers to our technology gurus is shaping the lives of our students every day. We also drive forward the goals of ensuring equity and excellence for all students. It’s not just our work; it is our passion!
We are a Pre-Kindergarten through 8th-grade school district in Phoenix, Arizona, established in 1871 as the first free public school district in Arizona. The district boundaries cover an area from 16th Street to 23rd Avenue, and Buckeye Road to Thomas Road.
WHAT YOU’LL LOVE ABOUT US:
- Our 15 schools are in the heart of hip Phoenix.
- We are educating the future leaders of Phoenix.
- We have a district-wide Equity Commitment, Statement, and Plan.
- We are accessible by Phoenix Light Rail.
- We want you to relax and refuel with healthy vacation time.
- We have University partners that offer discounted tuition.
The statements in this job description describe the essential function and requirements as assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. Job descriptions are subject to change. Employees must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and extensive fingerprint and background check. Discrimination against an otherwise qualified individual with a disability or any individual by reason of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity gender expression, age, or national origin is prohibited. Efforts will be made in recruitment and employment to ensure equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons.PESD1 is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact Lauren Pagnotta, HR Coordinator, at (602) 257-6072 at least 3 days in advance.
Job Contact Information
|Title||Director of Human Resources|
Friday, January 20, 2023 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 5008